Is this a sync issue?

For monitor related issues
epicnerdrage
eBay: epicnerdrage
Initials: JOS

Is this a sync issue?

Post by epicnerdrage »

So, as per my other thread, I have wired up the ultimarc vga driver and connected my raspberry pi with the RGB dual from recalbox to output native 15khz 240p through VGA.

When I turn everything on, I get this:

The screen seems to be scrolling and flickering and the colors are messed up. If I set the recalbox to PAL instead of NTSC, I just get a slow scrolling screen, and again all the colors are messed up (the video is NTSC, 15khz 240p.
I plugged the pi into my CRT just to make sure, and its working fine on the CRT TV (VGA to Scart)

Is this a sync issue, or is this something else completely? Thanks for any help
yosai
Windy City
eBay: yosai

Re: Is this a sync issue?

Post by yosai »

Have you tried adjusting the sync on the monitor?
epicnerdrage

Post by epicnerdrage »

I haven't no, is there v and h sync adjustment on the board?

Would that also explain the colour being so wrong?
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

MS9 only has user adjustable horizontal sync. It's on the chassis, H.H.15. There's a row of pots on one side, it's in the middle.

As for the colors, you need to demagnetize the screen. Look up info on how to wire up a button for that.

This said, I think your wiring and / or settings are messed up. Would be a lot easier to trouble shoot this if you just had a supergun and an arcade board.
geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Post by geotrig »

As nem said
epicnerdrage wrote: April 9th, 2024, 8:24 pm raspberry pi with the RGB dual from recalbox to output native 15khz 240p through VGA.
i also dont understand this setup :lolno:

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
epicnerdrage

Post by epicnerdrage »

Ah! Basically, there is a module that connects to a raspberry pi, that gives it native 240p 15khz output through VGA or SCART. Along with the recalbox front end software, it enables emulation of arcade and consoles in native resolution. Very nice bit of kit.

https://www.recalbox.com/recalbox-rgb-dual/
epicnerdrage

Post by epicnerdrage »

nem wrote: April 10th, 2024, 3:09 am MS9 only has user adjustable horizontal sync. It's on the chassis, H.H.15. There's a row of pots on one side, it's in the middle.

As for the colors, you need to demagnetize the screen. Look up info on how to wire up a button for that.

This said, I think your wiring and / or settings are messed up. Would be a lot easier to trouble shoot this if you just had a supergun and an arcade board.
Thank you for this. I will try the adjustment this evening.

So it looks like I just need to short the two wires from the degauss loop that are connected to the chassis board, I have ordered a high voltage momentary switch and will try that. I thought however that a degauss issue usually just shows localised weird colors, for me the whole screen is just showing the wrong colors, like one of the channels just isnt present. I have checked the wiring, it all looks good, but I will go back and re-check it all again. Everything seems to be mostly white, which is odd
geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Post by geotrig »

your screen brightness could be turned up too high as well .
The still in the video above does make it look like it needs a degause but I would worry about getting a stable image 1st and then onto the next step. As nem said using an arcade board would be preferable as you know what to expect then as there is no pal ntsc crap to deal with , that setup looks to be mainly for tvs

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

epicnerdrage wrote: April 10th, 2024, 10:45 amI thought however that a degauss issue usually just shows localised weird colors, for me the whole screen is just showing the wrong colors, like one of the channels just isnt present.

I've had colors mixed up all over the screen before a degauss. Best just to rule that one out before spending time checking other things.
epicnerdrage

Post by epicnerdrage »

Yeah that makes sense, maybe I will try my arcade VGA card on PC, at least I know the output is designed for arcade monitors, I dont have a game board to test